The PBS.org site will show you a couple of ads before the movie starts, but the complete movie will play once the commercials are over.
Answer the following questions about the movie.
Use the movie “Origins, How Life Began” to answer the following questions. If you need more room, use the back of the paper. Use full sentences.
1. What happened when another planet the size of Mars slammed into the early Earth?
2. According to a 17th century “recipe” for life that includes a dirty garment and wheat, what will form in 21 days?
3. Describe the Earth as it existed about 4 billion years ago.
4. When do scientists think that life first began on Earth?
5. What are “snottites?” What are they made of? Why do scientists need to wear gas masks when searching for snottites?
6. What four chemical elements are in most life forms?
7. How did Stanley Miller try to simulate the formation of early life?
8. How could the ingredients of life have come to Earth from space?
9. How did scientist Jennifer Blank prove that amino acids could have survived the heat and pressure of smashing into the Earth on a meteor?
10. How do the bacteria (really archaea) that live deep underground survive? How often do these underground bacteria reproduce?
11. What is a “stromatalite?”
12. How long did bacteria dominate the Earth before more complex organisms developed?”
13. Write a 1 – 3 paragraph review of this movie. What do you think about this movie and the information you learned from it? How does it make you feel about life on Earth?